Family Radio CHRI


On Being Content

Alice-Herz-SommerWhat is the secret to happiness? Is being content a trait you are born with or a skill you can develop over the years? I like to believe it is a mindset we chose to believe every day. For me contentment doesn't always come naturally, I'd say I'm there 60% of the time and the other 40% I'm looking for the next best thing.

And yes, I do believe that being discontent can breed new ideas and be a callus for change however my 40% definitely does not always fall into that category. I'm often wanting to be somewhere else, , annoyed at the people in my life or tired of waiting on God to change my situation. Below is an interview Tony Robbins did with a 108 year old holocaust survivor , Alice Herz-Sommer and she is happy, laughing and very content with life. She lives by herself in a tiny London flat with no assistance and she still practices the piano three hours a day.

In the interview Alice says she learned two important lessons from her mother:

1. Never complain. It doesn't change anything. It only makes you miserable.
2. Be thankful. Treat everything in life—whether good or bad—as a gift.

Looking back, she was even grateful for her experience in the Nazi prison camp. She says, "I learned from the bad, but I focused on the good."

You and I have the same choice: we can complain or we can be thankful and content. It's really a matter of perspective. It comes down to what kind of person you want to be. And it ultimately determines your happiness.

Get the App

Apple App Store Google Play Store

Community Calendar